HAZELWOOD PTA COUNCIL SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
Class of 2013 – General Rules
PURPOSE: To provide scholarships to one hundred (100) deserving Hazelwood School District High School graduating seniors.
AWARD COMPONENTS: One hundred (100) $500 scholarships and individual certificates awarded to one hundred (100) students selected by the Hazelwood PTA Council Selection Committee. The number of scholarships awarded to students of each Hazelwood High School (Central High, East High, and West High) is determined annually based on senior class enrollment as of January 1st of each year.
- Applicant must be a graduating Hazelwood School District high school senior in the year of the award.
- Applicant must have been enrolled at a Hazelwood High School at least 2 years.
- Application must have at least 95% average attendance through last seven semesters. Exceptions may be considered upon request of Counselor.
- Applicant must rank in the upper fourth of their graduating class as of the first day of the second semester in the year of the award.
- Applicant must demonstrate school and community involvement.
- Applicant must have completed required community service by application deadline. Student must sign up to volunteer at or participate in the Hazelwood PTA Scholarship Run/Walk by application deadline.
- Scholarship funds awarded must be applied to expenses incurred for the winner’s post-secondary education beginning with the current calendar year.
- Complete typed application form (handwritten and/or incomplete applications will not be processed).
- Deadline for application is March 13, 2013. Applications received after this date will not be considered. A copy of this application can also be found at www.hazelwoodptacouncil.com
- Three Scholarship Selection Committees, one to review applicants from each Hazelwood
High School, will be formed annually in the month of March. Each committee shall choose scholarship winners after review of all applications submitted by their assigned high school. Each Committee shall consist of the following members: a PTA Council Scholarship Committee person, an Elementary School PTA Member, a Middle School PTSA Non-Student Member, a High School PTA Non-Student Member, the High School Principal, the Guidance Department Manager, a High School Teacher, a Middle School and an Elementary Teacher.
- The decisions of the Scholarship Selection Committee shall be final. Hazelwood PTA Council Scholarships will be awarded without reference to other scholarships, grants, or financial aid received by the awardees.
- The Scholarship Selection Committee determines which awardees will be designated to
receive honorary or named scholarships. Examples include the Thomas J. Lawson Scholarship, the Francis C. Huss Scholarship, and the Judith D. Huss Scholarship.
- Award recipients shall indicate acceptance of the scholarship no later than August 1 of the current year. A parent and/or guardian of each recipient shall be required to guarantee the return of any Hazelwood PTA Council Scholarship money received, if the recipient does not attend school during the academic year that starts in the fall of the current calendar year. Recipients may attend any recognized post-secondary academic institution, including trade or technical schools.